Regional Planning + Visual Communications
For a More Vibrant, Equitable and Resilient World
1. PLANNING, PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND ENGAGEMENT
As a professional planner I thrive working with people and interdisciplinary teams on complex problems and generating innovative solutions. Working on topics from natural hazards planning, indigenous planning local economic development and responsible mining, I take a values-based, strategic and participatory approach to planning. I like to create plans that will not sit on shelves and have worked on projects across the planning cycle. These have included:
- Strategic Communications Plans
- Organizational Planning
- Digital & Social Media Strategy
- Baseline Study and Gap Analyses
- Multi-Stakeholder Engagement
- Plan Creation
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Track Record: I have completed professional training in community and regional planning and project management. These include:
- Registered Professional Planner Status (candidate 2016)
- M. ScP in Community and Regional Planning
- MITACS (levels I & II) Project Management
- NSCERC Project Management for Research Teams
- Lead in 3 major multi-stakeholder processes for natural resources and regional planning.
- Completed fellowship with the Montana State University Agricultural Extension Service in Sweet Grass County.
2. VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS
Stories remind us of who we are, offer lessons and guide us into the future. Visuals are also a very powerful way to mobilize research knowledge into action. Drawing from over 10 years in broadcast television, documentary filmmaking, documentary photography and new media. I am passionate about working with clients to deliver powerful stories of research, social and environmental change and regional identity.
Track Record: My successes here are grounded and shared in partnerships with talented individuals and organizations. These include:
- 30 award winning films completed in 10 languages
- Major international photo installations
- Knowledge mobilization planning for research groups
- Web platform development and data visualization with scientific researchers
3. ANALYSIS AND RESEARCH
As a professional planner and researcher I provide a suite of services tailored to the needs of your organization. These include:
- Structured decision-making and decision analysis
- Vulnerability and Risk Assessment
- Environmental impact assessment
- Indigenous Traditional Use and Occupancy Study
- Participatory Action Research
- Quantitative Analysis
- Ethnographic Research
- Qualitative Coding
- Spatial mapping and GIS Analysis
- Policy Analysis
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Track Record: I have completed major award winning planning research and policy briefings for local, regional and national governments and organizations. Samples of this work publications for more info. My formal education includes:
- M. Sc in Community and Regional Planning from the University of British Columbia. ( Masters Professional Project: Mobilizing Resilience: A Disaster Resilience of Place Approach to Integrated Flood Hazard Management in Squamish British Columbia)
- B.Sc Interdisciplinary Studies (Highest Honors) from Montana State University (Thesis: Passing It Down: Stressors and Adaptations in Intergenerational Highland Sheep Ranching Families)
- One year MITACS co-op with award winning planning firm EcoPlan international.
- Highly Qualified Personnel with the MEOPAR National Center of Excellence in coastal research
- NSCERC Terreweb Scholar in science communication
- Boren Scholarship Nominee to Kyrgyzstan – US State Department.
- Bio Regions International Research Fellow to Mongolia
- Member of the 2016 United Nations University working group on the Warsaw Mechanism for loss and damage to climate change.
- National Science Foundation Research Fellow to the Innuluataarneq community-based participatory research on Inuit sexual health and well-being.
4. ADVOCACY AND NEGOTIATION SUPPORT
Working with organizations and first peoples I provide consultative, technical and communications support in media campaigns, planning process, legal engagements and negotiations to ensure that mandates are lived out to the fullest.
Track Record: Working with partners I have:
- Completed over 50 projects in 10 countries with indigenous, environmental cultural and development organizations.
- Served as a Youth Arctic delegate to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change(UNFCCC), and council of youth (COY).
- Assisted in live broadcasts from the Arctic to over 15,000 classrooms across North America with Polar Bears International
See list of collaborators for more information.
- ArcGIS Suite, IDRISI, Sketch Up, Google Earth
- SPSS, FluidSurveys, SurveyMonkey,Graph Viz, Gephi and Atlas Ti
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Docs
- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom
- Premier Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Pro
- HootSuite, YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo, WordPress
- GPS Handheld, Plane Surveying
Services are offered at a day rate based on work requested. I am also available for short term contracts and longer term assignments. Please contact me to discuss opportunities further. I look forward to collaborating and delivering high quality results.